Friday, December 16, 2011

Blessings Overflow

Yes, yes, yes....we are still alive and kicking! :)

My sweet babe is FOUR weeks old today, whoa!!

I'm trying to learn this whole time mommyhood time management thing--it's quite tricky sometimes.  So far parenting has been quite blissful, but not without it's fair share of tears, though. I'm assuming the changes that have occured around our house are no different than any other first time parent trying to figure things out.

For me, the most challenging part of being a new mom is not being on top of everything like I normally would be.  This ranges from anything, like not being able to check in with sick family members and blogging, to everything, like not keeping up with my house chores like usual or loving on my sweet dog like I should. I've had friends have babies, surgeries, and other life changing events since I've been mothering, and I feel like the time has come when I just can't be everything to everyone. It's a little bittersweet, honestly.  I've dreamt of the day when I can be a mother to my own sweet baby, but I've also enjoyed my time of being an encouragement to those around me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on it. I've realized that I have finally reached my 'calling' in life, though! THIS is exactly what I'm suppose to be doing---being a wife and a mother to the gosh darn best little family ever ;)  My new job is to love and serve the other three living with me until my little heart explodes.

Being a perfectionist and slightly anal-retentive, another challenging aspect of parenting has been figuring out a schedule for our family.  Cale has been a rock-star while trying to adjust to a sleep schedule--we feed at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, (bath at 8:30pm), 9pm, and 2am. Not too shabby.  I'd like to get myself on some kind of schedule, though. Some days I shower, some days I don't. Some days I eat lunch, some days I don't. Some days I can squeeze in a load of laundry, some days I can't find a free second in my day to brush my hair. You get the picture. I'm open for advice and/or suggestions!

For the past four weeks, while we've been figuring out this new life in our house, the blessings have not stopped coming our way. God is simply amazing. He is continuing to leave me speechless each day.

For starters, my husband is my hero! He is the best partner I could ask for in this life. It chokes me up inside to watch him be a Daddy, he's so good at it! :) Whenever my hands are full with Cale, it's so nice to watch Alan love on Bentley. And, when he knows I need some rest, he gladly pitches in on baby duties. And, when he knows something needs done around he house, he does it without being asked. He goes without his sleep as much as I do, and I never hear him utter a negative word or compliant.

Speaking of my incredibly hard-working, loving husband, he managed to snag a big promotion at work! He's been studying for months for a promotional exam, knowing that it would fall right around 'baby time.' He continued to study his booty off around NICU feeding times, sleepless nights at home, and 24-hour shifts at the fire station. It paid off! ;) 

Also, I'm not for sure if this is a blessing yet (ha!), but Alan took himself out and bought a new truck. He'd been looking for the perfect new (used) truck for awhile, knowing we'd need an extended cab for car seat type things. He came across a steal on Auto Trader one day, and he was driving his new truck home from Oklahoma City the next evening. He was patient in his search, and it too paid off!

We also found out that we'd be getting Christmas bonuses from work this year---FIRST TIME EVER! Since I'm out on maternity leave, especially with the Christmas holiday, this is a huge, unexpected blessing to us. We are so thankful to work for a company is choosing to recognize it's hard-working employees. The timing is impeccable in our lives!

See? I told you, we are on blessing overflow.

God is so good to us!

Photobucket

3 comments:

allie-mac-fallie said...

amen!!! :)
glad yall are doing well-- hes sleeping much better than rg was at 4 weeks !

Molly said...

Miss you in the blog world, friend. SO glad you all are adjusting well. Motherhood is definitely an overwhelming blessing, you'll find your niche soon. Merry Christmas to your sweet little family :)

Paige said...

Aw, this is all amazing! Congrats to your husband on his promotion! How wonderful!

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving me some comment love :) Hope your day is blessed!