Thursday, July 8, 2010

Writers Workshop, Week 2

"WHAT YOU WOULD CHANGE ABOUT YOUR LIFE, IF YOU COULD"

Yesterday afternoon, we received news that our friend, Brian, had been found dead in his home. This came as shocking, sad news to a whole community of people!
Brian has served with Alan on the Tulsa Fire Department for many years as a firefighter and paramedic-he was loved and well-respected by his coworkers!  He also served his country as a Marine, fighting across seas during Desert Storm.  Working on the same city streets as Brian, I know how much he was committed to his job and loved serving the citizens of Tulsa.  He was also dedicated to continuing his education, constantly seeking ways to improve his knowledge and skills.  One of my favorite qualities about Brian was his faithfulness to his friends in his life.  Brian adored his friends and would have given the shirt off his back to any of them.  Heaven has a special place for heroes like Brian!

With most of the details surrounding his death to be unknown, there have been a lot of rumors and speculations.  Sadly, we will probably never know the real truth.  For Brian's sake, I hope and pray that he had not suffered tremendously......physically or emotionally.  My heart aches for him and those who love him!

Life is waaaaay too short for "what-if's."  As a Chrisitian I have a VERY simple form of theology that I follow: LOVE GOD, LOVE PEOPLE. It's not my job to judge or condemn, I simply am to LOVE

It took this situation for me to realize that sometimes that's not enough. I have a comfort zone, and I need to step out of it.  I need to be able to look my friends in the eyes and tell them, "God LOVES you, just as you are."  I can love on someone all my little heart will let me, but sometimes I'm going to have to open my mouth and say it.  Nothing over the top, nothing condemning....just a simple GOD LOVES YOU.

I have no regrets with the situation surrounding Brian's death, but there are plenty of other circumstances in my life that I feel could benefit from hearing those three little words. God has taken this sad situation and filled a little cup of evangelism in my heart.  For that, I am grateful!

No more wishing I would have spoke of God's love, it's time to start doing.

Mama's Losin' ItPhotobucket

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Just stopped by from Mama Kat's. So sorry about your friend. Great motto, though...Love God, Love people. That's really all we can do!

Unknown said...

Lindsi I love this post but I am so sad to hear about Brian. I met him one time through Steph and Kofi and he seemed like such a great guy. I know he is going to be missed terribly. Thinking and praying for you all.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving me some comment love :) Hope your day is blessed!