Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Now-a-Days

I went to the dentist today for a simple little filling, and while I was there I was able to participate in some enlightening conversation with the student dental assistant. **Chirp, chirp.**

I try to be so understanding of students, because, after all, I was one of them back in the day; however, I felt sightly more dumb after my experience there today.

Let me set the scene. I was taken to the exam room and prepped for the procedure by a petite, blonde haired dental assistant student (who ended up spraying me in the face---not in the mouth---with the little water thing). She had another petite, dark headed girl as her supervisor. This dark headed girl actually worked at the dental office. Both girls appeared to be maybe, maaaaaaybe, 20.

Example One:

Dental Assistant: "How do you say your name?"
Me: "Lindsi."
Dental Assistant: "Oh, ok. It's just spelled weird."


Dental Assistant: "People spell their names SOOOOO weird now-a-days."
Dental Assistant Student: "I totally know what you mean."

Me (In my Head): "Now-a-Days? What the what?! Pretty sure my mom spelled my name 'weird' nearly thirty years ago. I didn't change it to a 'weird' spelling as an adult. Or now-a-days, as the twenty year old would say. Pffffftttt."

Example Two:

Awkward silence in the room while waiting on the dentist to get the procedure started.

Dental Assistant Student: "Do you ride horses?"
Me: "No??"
Dental Assistant Student: "Oh, so you just wear cowgirl boots?"
Me: "I guess so."
Dental Assistant Student: "That's cool. I really want a pair of cowgirl boots."

I don't know what bothered me more: the fact that she referred to them as cowgirl boots OR the fact that she thought because I was wearing them automatically meant that I must ride horses. I'm sorry, I thought we lived in OKLAHOMA. You know, a state where wearing boots is totally normal.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Kelsey Claire said...

Sounds like an interesting experience! I hope you enjoy your cowgirl boots! haha!

Anonymous said...

Ride 'em Cowgirl Lindsi!

Momma

Melissa Jo said...

That's too funny 'cowgirl boots' I've just been calling the either dress boots or boots for years. Maybe it's just the Alabama in me lol

Unknown said...

Wow, that's extremly awkward. I would've felt very uncomfortable.

And it's totally normal to wear cowboy boots. I hate horses, I wear them and I'm from GA.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today and leaving me some comment love :) Hope your day is blessed!